Dr. Ivan Misner is called the “Father of Modern Networking” by CNN and one of the “Top Networking Experts” by Forbes. He’s also the Founder & Chief Visionary Officer of BNI, the world’s largest business networking organization that has generated 9.1 million referrals and $13.1 billion dollars’ worth of business for its members.
In this episode, Ivan shares valuable insights into how business owners could be networking more effectively. He reveals the big mistake that many business owners are making at networking events, and the strengths of relational versus transactional networking.
In addition to his advice on farming relationships, Ivan discusses his new book, Who Is In Your Room? The room is a metaphor for all the relationships with all the people you let into your life. If everyone you invited into your life stays there forever, what would you do?
He shares actionable steps on how to build connections with the people you meet.
Ivan is a New York Times Bestselling author who has written 23 books, including Who’s in Your Room? and he has been featured in the L.A. Times, Wall Street Journal, and New York Times, as well as numerous TV and radio shows including CNN, the BBC and The Today Show on NBC.
He and his wife Elisabeth are now “empty nesters” with three adult children and in his spare time he is also an amateur magician and a black belt in karate.
In this episode, you will learn:
- 5:01 Why many business owners misunderstand the networking and referral process
- 10:52 The differences between how men and women network
- 16:44 Letting the right people in your life if you must fit them all into one room
- 19:42 The different levels of connection in your life, from acquaintances to friends
- 21:50 How the BNI networking structure creates referrals
- 27:45 How BNI saved a moving and storage business after the recession
- 38:40 The role of the BNI Charitable Foundation for children and education
Connect with Ivan
Connect with Dan